Enabling Future Arrays in Tidal (EnFAIT) is an EU €20.2 million flagship tidal energy project.
It aims to demonstrate the development, operation and decommissioning of the world’s largest tidal array (six turbines) over a five-year period to prove a cost reduction pathway for tidal energy and that it can be cost competitive with other forms of renewable energy.
- delivers a step change in the lifetime cost of energy for tidal power;
- proves that high array reliability and availability can be achieved with best practice maintenance regimes;
- captures and disseminates substantial learning on fundamental issues for the ocean energy industry;
- builds investor confidence; and
- takes a significant step towards creating a commercial, bankable tidal energy sector.
The project commenced in July 2017 and will run until June 2022.