By Tom Wills, Nova Innovation
This report summarises the results and key achievements of the three original Nova M100 turbines on the Shetland Tidal Array, now operated under the Enabling Future Arrays in Tidal (EnFAIT) project. Turbines T1, T2 and T3 (Ailsa, Betty and Charlotte) were deployed in 2016 and 2017.
Key achievements include:
- Record-breaking performance
- Reduced operation and maintenance costs
- Extended service intervals
- Improved capacity factors
- Ability to retrieve in all conditions
- Anti-fouling coatings
These achievements demonstrate the significant impact the EnFAIT project is having on improving turbine performance and reducing costs. This landmark project is clearly helping to make tidal energy mainstream.